Identity theft is the number one complaint to the Federal Trade Commission. Learn how to protect yourself. I’m Laurie Edwards-Tate with “LifeCycles.”
The two age groups most at risk for identity theft are between 18 and 24 years old, and over 60. Here are some tips to protect yourself.
- Shred all documents with personal information.
- Carefully monitor your credit card statements.
- Use privacy settings with social media.
- Never post anything you would not want to see on a billboard.
- Be more selective about accepting friends.
- Regularly check who has access and review what they post about you.
- Do not offer information unless a website is secure. Look for the letters “H-T-T-P-S” and a padlock symbol next to it in the address.
- Never give personal information in response to an incoming email, even if it looks legitimate.